Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 5 - A Day of Rest

Another day, another experience, and more awesome pancakes! After this first week of work, our hosts, Marc & Lisa offered us a day of rest. Our day started with a surprise! We were told that the English class had not started yet, but as I was looking through the mission’s gift shop this morning, Pat came up to me and asked: “want to teach ESL”? Off we went, Kendra, Pat & me found ourselves in front of a beginner level English class. We had a great time, and I believe they enjoyed it too.
We then drove west to Petit Goâve to visit the market. Here we were, a large group of ten “blancs” wandering through chaotic narrow ways, looking around, making people talk. Beans, veggies, mystery meats, fish, coal, some cooking here and there, and the overwhelming smells blending with the permanent smell of burning garbage.

Later in the afternoon was beach time. Marc & Lisa drove us to Taïno Beach where we enjoyed the Caribbean Sea. Surprisingly enough, none of us has turned into a lobster yet! Though, we did enjoy fresh seafood right after. Lobster type creatures, “crayfish” I think? and crab. Marc sent out some locals to go fishing for us and they brought back those lovely creatures.

Tomorrow is church day, and I’m looking forward to play saxophone with the Haitian band, and also to meet new people. I am starting to make friends here and enjoy spending awkward time and conversations with the people God places on my path.
I thank God for the ways He uses us, even in the littlest of things, His plans are bigger than our intentions.
Please pray for the team’s health, some have had minor illnesses and most of us feel tired already. Pray that we would have energy and strength to do what God wants us to do, to be where He wants us to be, and to speak what He wants us to speak.

Thank you all for your support. God bless you all!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! By enjoying the Caribbean, I hope that means you got to swim in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well son your experience in Haiti seems to be amazing so far. Most off all I rejoice for your passion for God and your desire to serve Him this way. He is already using you and blessing you as well. We love you so much and you can count on our prayers for you and all the team!!
    God bless you, Dad & Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mon frère j'arrive pas à m'exprimer, mais j'tiens vraiment à t'écrire pis à t'encourager, j'm'ennuie de toi. Que dieu vous bénisse & vous protège (:
    Je t'aime <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Pat....

    Hi dad are you having fun? I love you,you rock!
    I miss you,you are the BEST DAD!I love you so
    so soooo much dad!From Abbey!

    ReplyDelete